Lucky for me, today’s cookie recipe involves no lamination and no rolling – a quick trip to the mixer and a few minutes in the oven yielded some chewy, chocolaty, delicious little cookies. The recipe here is not too far off my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe, save for a couple of things:
- The Sugar. There’s A LOT of it here. Equal parts sugar and flour in this recipe means this dough is super-sweet. At first I was a little terrified, but it works wonders here – sugar is a natural liquefier and preservative in baking recipes. Read: these cookies are chewy perfect and keep their texture beautifully over time. The sugar is split between brown, turbinado, and granulated – the turbinado is especially unique and imparts a nice toffee-esque flavor here.
- The Chocolate. There’s A LOT of this too. Make sure you choose a good quality bittersweet chocolate: it’s the key to balancing out all that sugar. I think these cookies would be sweet-overload with regular chocolate chips.
- The Sea Salt Sprinkle. Not Without Salt recommends sprinkling a little coarse sea salt over the cookies just before they are popped in the oven. It seems odd, and though you may be tempted to give it a miss, the salt is magic here. Again, it’s all about balance – sweet, salty, chocolaty bliss!
Makes about 24 medium size cookies.
Not Without Salt’s Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 2 sticks, 1 cup, 8oz unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup, 2oz granulated sugar
- ¼ cup, 2oz turbinado sugar
- 1 ¾ cups, 12oz brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups, 1lb, all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1lb good quality bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- Good quality sea salt for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 360 degrees. Line 3 baking sheets with silpats or parchment paper. Beat together the butter and sugars in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or using hand-held beaters. Beat until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes on medium-high. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
Meanwhile, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Add this to the butter mixture and mix just until a dough is formed – don’t over-mix! Fold in the chocolate.
Scoop into very rounded tablespoons onto the prepared sheets – you’re going for about 24 cookies, or 8 per sheet. Not Without Salt recommends baking the sheets one at a time (presumably for more even cooking) – I did mine 2 at a time to no ill effect. Bake 12 minutes or until golden on the outside and soft in the middle – don’t over-bake!